Posts for category: Dental Procedures
Are you experiencing constant and lingering toothaches? You may need to undergo a root canal treatment to get rid of that sickening pain. A root canal treatment is performed to save and repair a tooth that is severely damaged or infected.
You can learn more about the procedure when you come in for a consultation with your dentist, Dr. Jaime Gutierrez, here at our practice at Brookfield, CT.
Signs and Symptoms of a Tooth That Needs Root Canal Therapy
Having a deep cavity, a cracked or chipped tooth, or trauma to a tooth are the most common causes of needing this treatment. Here are some of the signs and symptoms that you need to undergo a root canal treatment:
- Constant pain. This type of pain may bother you most of the time, or it might go away then return after a while. The pain may radiate from deep within the bone of your tooth. You may also feel pain in your other teeth, jaw, or face.
- Sensitivity to hot and cold. When you consume something relatively hot or cold, the painful sensation could feel sharp or dull. The pain might also last even if you’ve finished eating. This is an indication that the nerves and blood vessels of the tooth may have already been damaged.
- Tooth discoloration. The pulp of your tooth may be infected, causing your tooth to be discolored. Damaged roots give your tooth a dark-gray look.
- Swollen gums. Gums close to your painful tooth may be inflamed. The swelling may go away and reappear, and if touched, may feel tender. A small pimple might also appear on your gum that secretes pus from the infected tooth. This could cause a nasty taste and bad breath.
- A loose tooth. This could be a sign of infection, caused by the acidic products from the death of a nerve, which soften the bone around the root of the tooth.
If you are experiencing any of these warning signs, consult your dentist in Brookfield, CT, as soon as possible to prevent further damage to your tooth.
Need More Information on Root Canal Therapy? Contact Us
Dial (203) 775-0480 to book your consultation date with our dentist, Dr. Jamie Gutierrez of Brookfield, CT.
Here’s why you may want to consider dental implants.
Dealing with tooth loss is more common in adulthood than you might think. Luckily, our Brookfield, CT, dentist Dr. Jamie Gutierrez offers a variety of options to fill those gaps in your smile and to restore your confidence again. Wondering why so many people are turning to dental implants? Here are some of the top reasons,
- A dental implant preserves your bone and gum tissue, which can deteriorate as a result of tooth loss. The roots of your teeth stimulate the jawbone, but when one or more teeth are lost the jawbone also deteriorates as a result. A dental implant will actually replace the roots of a tooth to prevent bone loss.
- By placing a false tooth in the gap, our Brookfield, CT, family dentist can also prevent teeth from shifting into these open spaces. If a replacement tooth isn’t placed the rest of your teeth will begin to move into these gaps, leading to further spacing between teeth, crowding and crookedness.
- A dental implant is made from a durable material such as titanium, which is amazingly resilient and also biocompatible, which means that human tissue treat this metal like it’s a natural part of the body. This restoration’s biocompatibility is just one of the reasons it offers such an incredibly high success rate. Plus, you’ll be happy to hear that implants cannot develop cavities.
- Your restoration will fully restore chewing and bite forces, helping to distribute the weight evenly across your teeth whenever you eat, speak or bite. This false tooth won’t just redistribute jaw forces evenly to prevent cracked or fractured teeth but also it will make it incredibly easy to enjoy all of your favorite foods without worrying about your false teeth moving around.
- Since a dental implant is made not only to function like real teeth but also to look like real teeth you will never have to worry that people will be able to recognize which tooth isn’t yours. Our dentists work hard to make sure that the crown or set of false teeth that are placed over the implant offers an incredible fit and also blends right in with your smile. Everything down to the shade of the artificial tooth is taken into painstaking consideration.
Want to know if you are a good candidate for dental implants? If so, call our Brookfield, CT, dental practice today at (203) 775-0480 to schedule a consultation with Dr. Gutierrez.
Have questions about bonding? Bonding is an excellent way to improve your smile. Bonding is the application of a tooth-colored composite resin to the teeth to restore or improve a person's smile. With bonding, you have one of the easiest, fastest and most affordable dental treatments at your disposal. Dr. Jamie Gutierrez in Brookfield, CT, offers a full range of dental services to his patients. Read on to get answers to FAQs about bonding.
What is cosmetic dental bonding?
Bonding can be used for a variety of purposes. For instance, it may be used to repair dental cavities and fractured teeth. It may also be used to close gaps between teeth and hide tooth discoloration. Sometimes bonding used to make teeth look longer or to change their shape, so that they appear more attractive. Dentists also use bonding to protect the exposed roots of teeth.
What are the benefits of bonding?
Bonding is one of the most affordable cosmetic procedures. Unlike dental veneers and crowns which require more time to prepare and a second visit to place them, dental bonding can be completed in just one visit. Minimal tooth enamel is removed during the treatment. Patients often get multiple teeth bonded in just one appointment.
How do I care for my bonded teeth?
Bonded teeth do not require special care. Bonded teeth can become discolored by stains just like your teeth, so you want to care for them as carefully as you care for your smile! Floss and brush regularly and visit your dentist for checkups and dental cleanings twice a year. Avoid biting into hard surfaces like hard foods, candy ice, fingernails, and other hard items which can weaken the bonding.
If you want a beautiful smile, this is your chance! Start your journey today! Call Dr. Jamie Gutierrez at 203-775-0480 right now to schedule a dental appointment in Brookfield, CT and get the smile you deserve. When you're happy with your smile, it can really improve your quality of life!
This tooth-shaped cap offers a host of restorative and cosmetic benefits.
Dental crowns have been around for centuries, dating all the way back to the Etruscans between 700 BC and the first century BC. Of course, as you might imagine, thanks to modern dental technology our Brookfield, CT, dentist Dr. Jaime Gutierrez is able to create dental crowns that resemble the look of a real tooth so that no one even knows you have one. So, what is a dental crown and how can it help you?
When is a dental crown used?
While they are typically used for restorative dentistry purposes they can also offer cosmetic benefits, as well. Some of the issues crowns can address include:
- Chipped or cracked teeth
- Weak teeth
- Teeth that can no longer support a large dental filling
- Discolored or poorly shaped teeth
- Tooth loss
That’s right; crowns can even be instrumental in restoring your smile after tooth loss. While a crown won’t be used to replace a missing tooth all by itself it is used to cover a dental implant or to support a dental bridge. If you are missing a single tooth, then chances are good that a dental crown will be able to help.
What are the benefits of dental crowns?
The major benefit is that a crown will restore the tooth and improve how it functions. After all, a weak tooth will continue to weaken over time if you don’t provide it with the protection it needs, and a dental crown is the perfect way to protect it. It can also improve the overall shape and color of a tooth, making you feel more confident in your appearance.
Furthermore, dental crowns are made from durable material such as ceramic or porcelain, which means that the material looks just like natural tooth enamel. The shade of the porcelain or ceramic is even matched to the tooth so that it blends right in with the rest of your smile.
What are same-day crowns?
Our Brookfield, CT, restorative dentist makes it even easier to get the restoration you need in the very same day. Traditionally, it takes about 2-3 separate visits to get your permanent crown, but with CEREC same-day crowns we can provide you with the same great restoration in just one visit. Everything is done right here in our office so we don’t have to turn to an outside dental lab to create your crown. It’s fast, efficient and you’ll walk out of our office with a brand new smile.
Does it sound like dental crowns might be something that could improve your oral health? If so, the next step is to sit down with us for a consultation to find out if this truly the best way to restore your smile. Call our Brookfield, CT, dental office today and let us know that you are interested in getting dental crowns.
Nothing looks, acts, or feels quite like your real teeth. However, if you suffer tooth loss due to extensive decay, infection, accident, or another circumstance, take heart. Your Brookfield, CT, dentist, Dr. Jaime Gutierrez, offers qualified patients the next best thing--quality dental implants. Placed in the jaw bone where natural tooth roots previously resided, titanium implant devices, along with their extensions and porcelain crowns, deliver optimal oral function and appearance.
What's the big deal about dental implants?
It has to do with osseointegration, a natural process whereby the jaw bone bonds to the titanium metal device. While osseointegration takes up to six months after implant placement, the result is well worth the wait. Fully restored dental implants typically last for decades, says the Institute for Dental Implant Awareness.
Other tooth replacements, such as fixed bridges and conventional dentures, cannot preserve size and density of gum tissue and bone the way dental implants can. Therefore, facial dimensions, personal appearance and oral function change over time. In addition, older-style tooth replacements must be replaced every ten years or so, impacting personal budgets and schedules.
Who gets dental implants?
Dr. Gutierrez offers dental implants to patients who have enough bone in their jaws to support the screw-like titanium devices. He confirms this with oral examination and sophisticated digital imaging.
Additionally, prospective implant patients should have:
- Good overall health (strong immune systems)
- Diligent oral hygiene habits
- Willingness to reduce tobacco use or to stop smoking
Brushing, flossing, and getting professional cleanings and exams with your Brookfield dentist ensure your implant sites stay plaque- and tartar-free, avoiding a difficult infection called peri-implantitis. Peri-implantitis resembles advanced gum disease. Quitting tobacco helps gums and bone around implants stay healthy, too.
Finally, you may be a candidate for dental implants even if you have extensive bone and tooth loss. Grafting procedures build-up implant sites, and Dr. Gutierrez may recommend multiple implants to support partial and full dentures.
Explore the possibilities
Dr. Gutierrez invites you to look into modern dental implants. He places and restores implants right in his Brookfield, CT, office, and the procedures are easier than you may think. Please call the office to arrange your dental implant consultation: (203) 775-0480.